Potato LatkesAs the holidays approach, what better way to get into the festive spirit than to make some delicious potato latkes? This traditional Hanukah dish is sure to be a real crowd pleaser at your next holiday gathering. This recipe calls for 45 minutes of prep and cooking and makes 12 to 16 latkes. Recipe Courtesy of EpiCurious Ingredients:
- 1 pound of potatoes
- 1/2 cup of finely chopped onion
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup olive oil
- Accompaniments: sour cream and applesauce
- Preheat oven to 250°F. Peel potatoes and coarsely grate them by hand, transferring them to a large bowl of cold water as grated. Soak potatoes 1 to 2 minutes after the last batch is added to water, then drain well in a colander.
- Spread grated potatoes and onion on a kitchen towel and roll up jelly-roll style. Twist towel tightly to wring out as much liquid as possible. Transfer potato mixture to a bowl and stir in egg and salt.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Working in batches of 4 latkes, spoon two tablespoons potato mixture per latke into skillet, spreading into 3-inch rounds with a fork.
- Reduce heat to moderate and cook until undersides are browned, about 5 minutes. Turn latkes over and cook until undersides are browned, about 5 minutes more.
- Transfer to paper towels to drain and season with salt. Add more oil to skillet as needed. Keep latkes warm on a wire rack set in a shallow baking pan in the oven.
Trackback from your site.