By SAMANTHA BRAND ‘17
After apple picking, many people are left with a fridge full of apples that will eventually go to waste. Instead of throwing them out, turn the fruit you worked so hard to pick into delicious mini apple pies, perfect for the fall.
Mini Apple Pies
Yield: 4 pies (8 servings)
– 1 package puff pastry
– 2 medium-sized green apples
– 1/4 cup brown sugar
– 3 1/2 tablespoons granulated sugar (1 tablespoon is for dusting)
– 1 tablespoon melted butter
– 1 teaspoon lemon juice
– 2 teaspoons flour
– 1 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (1/4 tea- spoon is for dusting)
– 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
– water for sealing
1. Thaw puff pastry.
2. Core, peel, and dice apples.
3. In one bowl, add apples, brown sugar, 2 1/2 tbsp. granulated sugar, melted butter, lemon juice, flour, 1 tsp. cinnamon, and nutmeg. Mix well.
4. Flour a flat surface and cut puff pastry sheet into eight equal squares (about 3×3 in.).
5. In the center of one square, put a little more than a 1/4 cup filling and brush the sides with water.
6. Put another square on top of the one with filling.
7. Seal the two squares together with your hands and use a fork to crimp the sides.
8. Poke holes into top of puff pastry using the fork.
9. After repeating the process three times, put the four pies on an ungreased baking sheet and brush with melted butter.
10. Bake until golden (about 20 min- utes).
11. Pull pies out of the oven and let them cool for five minutes.
12. Mix together remaining sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle over pies.
13. Cut pies in half diagonally and serve hot.